California Nursery Master Plan

Location: Fremont


The PGAdesign-led design and planning team was selected to work with the City of Fremont to prepare a master plan for a new 20+ acre park on the site of the historic California Nursery, the state’s premier nursery before its closure in 1968.

The modern history of the site dates to 1842, when Jose de Jesus Vallejo received this site as part of a larger land grant. In 1884, John Rock moved his California Nursery to the site. For 50 years, the nursery was owned and operated by the Roedings, a well-known agricultural family.

Community engagement was critical to PGAdesign’s involvement in the process, which included an informational community meeting and three public workshops in tandem with site analysis and design. PGAdesign incorporated community feedback into a design that implemented park infrastructure and recreated the site’s historic entry, highlighting the park’s rare collection of trees, respecting the historic circulation system, and rehabilitating six historic structures.

Location: Fremont

Project Type: Historic Parks + Recreation

The PGAdesign-led design and planning team was selected to work with the City of Fremont to prepare a master plan for a new 20+ acre park on the site of the historic California Nursery, the state’s premier nursery before its closure in 1968.

The modern history of the site dates to 1842, when Jose de Jesus Vallejo received this site as part of a larger land grant. In 1884, John Rock moved his California Nursery to the site. For 50 years, the nursery was owned and operated by the Roedings, a well-known agricultural family.

Community engagement was critical to PGAdesign’s involvement in the process, which included an informational community meeting and three public workshops in tandem with site analysis and design. PGAdesign incorporated community feedback into a design that implemented park infrastructure and recreated the site’s historic entry, highlighting the park’s rare collection of trees, respecting the historic circulation system, and rehabilitating six historic structures.